This is an Australian Federal Government Grant to help Australian businesses with their marketing and business development overseas.
The EMDG scheme:
- encourages small- and medium-sized Australian businesses to develop export markets
- reimburses up to 50 per cent of eligible export promotion expenses above $5,000 provided that the total expenses are at least $15,000
- provides up to eight grants to each eligible applicant.
WHO CAN APPLY?
An Australian individual, partnership, company, association, cooperative or statutory corporation that has:
- carried on business in Australia
- promoted the export of goods
- promoted the delivery of services outside Australia
- promoted certain services in Australia to non-residents
- promoted inbound tourism
- promoted the export of intellectual property and know-how outside Australia
- an income of less than $50 million for the year
- spent at least $15,000 on eligible export promotional activities.
A trustee may also apply on behalf of a trust.
Watch some of Austrade’s Videos on how to claim the EMDG
WHAT CAN BE CLAIMED?
- overseas representation expenses
- marketing consultant expenses (including those of Asia Advisory) -Register for a Free Go-To-Market Audit here
- marketing visits expenses
- free samples expenses
- trade fairs, seminars, in-store promotions expenses
- promotional literature and advertising expenses
- overseas buyers expenses
- registration and/or insurance of eligible intellectual property expenses.
Visit Austrade’s website for more info on EMDG
WHAT DO YOU GET?
- up to 50 per cent reimbursement of eligible expenses, less the first $5,000
- each applicant may receive a grant of up to $150,000 per application, to a maximum of eight annual grants
- grants are regarded as assessable for income tax purposes
- the Australian Taxation Office has confirmed that GST will not apply to EMDG grants.
WHAT CANNOT BE CLAIMED?
- relate to trade with New Zealand and North Korea, and with Iran up to and including 17 January 2016
- are of a capital nature
- relate to sales or product development
- are fraudulent, unsubstantiated or related to an illegal activity. The GST component of incurred expenses cannot be claimed under EMDG.
HOW TO APPLY
To find out more about the application process, go to austrade.gov.au/Export/Export-Grants and select ‘Apply’. From this page you can also make sure your business is eligible to apply by reviewing the EMDG eligibility check list. You can contact Austrade on 13 28 78 at any time to clarify your eligibility.
Asia Advisory recommends to use specialist accountants to complete your claim. Our preferred accountant is:
Daniel Ronai, EMDG Consultant
Find out more about Grants and Digital Marketing support with our Business Recovery Tools to get you started